Mar 26, 2013

Resurrection from the Dead

Having just returned home from RootsTech 2013, I felt the need to start posting again at my long dormant blog (the last post was more than a year and a half ago). Seeing that RootsTech 2011 was what originally inspired me to start blogging, it's only appropriate to begin anew now.

What happened? Life. When I started blogging, I had been unemployed for quite a while (I like to say funemployed), living off savings. Of course, that can't go on forever, so I accepted a good-paying, one-year contract job last year. It was hard work, long hours, and few days off, but it allowed me to save up more money. I recently returned to Minnesota after the contract was over, and went back to school. That has also kept me sufficiently busy so blogging was far from my mind. I hadn't even visited Blogger for months, and just realized I still have as many posts in draft as I've ever published.

My purpose in blogging hasn't changed. I need writing practice now, as ever. And using it as a quasi-research log would be a great improvement over the random scribbles in a notebook and on multiple note cards from the last couple years. Although I haven't blogged in a long time, I did research as much as I had time for: some evenings,  weekends, and during a two-week vacation.

I still haven't fully exploited all the sources I collected on a research roadtrip and a few visits to libraries and archives. I'll try to write posts as I finally get around to analyzing them and incorporating them into my family tree. I intend to blog more specifically about Minnesota research and especially also on genetic genealogy. It's still a rather new and misunderstood topic for many long-time genealogists, so I want to communicate some of what I've learned from a wide variety of sources to help others understand it better.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you are posting again. I haven't posted in a while - life (work) definitely gets in the way.

    ReplyDelete