Feb 16, 2011

Initial RootsTech 2011 Reaction

I've been reading other bloggers thoughts on RootsTech, and ran across this interesting post: Beyond Genealogy: RootsTech 2011: Was it a Smashing Success? He proposes a few metrics how the influence of RootsTech can be measured going forward:
First, RootsTech has clearly created a buzz in the genealogy industry. On Sunday, I googled "rootstech" and there were 29,600 hits. This morning, I repeated the search and there were 35,400 hits. Right now (3:00 PM EST), there are 37,700 hits. And the amount of chatter on Facebook and Twitter is also remarkable. For RootsTech to be considered a "success", this needs to last for more than a week or so.
That's pretty amazing the hits are increasing so fast, but it may just be how Google's crawler is finding and indexing the pages. I know exactly what he means about the duration of excitement though. Gathering large groups of people in one place, with a shared passion, can be intoxicating. But as soon as everyone gets home, and real life hits them on the head, enthusiasm starts to fade.
I'd like to challenge everyone who attended RootsTech 2011 to make a list of the ideas generated by your attendance at the conference and/or whenever you release a new feature/product/service in the next twelve months, be sure to mention that it resulted from a conversation(s) held at the show.
I plan on doing exactly that. Some of my ideas pre-date RootsTech, but I've further fleshed them out based on sessions I attended and people I talked with. As I make progress, I'll be sure to post about them here.
It would be interesting if someone at FamilySearch was charged with the task of tracking every new blog (as announced by Thomas MacEntee on Geneabloggers) to see if the blog creator had attended RootsTech 2011. The result would be a very tangible indicator of RootsTech's influence on the blogging sector.
Count me among the newly inspired bloggers. I've hemmed and hawed for years about starting my own blog, but one concern or another triggered my natural inclination towards procrastination. I'm committed to posting regularly, and I already have lots of ideas to write about. Later, I'll post my overall review of the conference, then get into the details.

2 comments:

  1. Saw your post - great comments. It is always exciting to go to the conference or seminar but when you get back to the real world all those things you were going to post about go by the wayside!

    In any event, I would love to learn more about the interaction at rootstech - with something referred to as a challenge, any of the sign up groups that met to discuss whatever. It seemed like rootstech would be a good place to get the pulse of genealogists for what technology we want - was that done through polls or suggestion boxes of any sort?

    Looking forward to your comments and more posts about rootstech and Minnesota research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't attend any of the unconferencing sessions, but I'm looking forward to reading about them on other blogs. The only formal "vote" on technology was the developer challenge, to create a cool mashup in 48 hours. It didn't have quite as much participation as they'd hoped, but there was lots of interaction between genealogists and tech people throughout the whole conference. I'll be posting about some of those sessions and my own conversations.

    ReplyDelete